Sunday, September 9, 2007

Under pressure

When I decided about a year ago that I was going to apply to bschool, I had no idea the trip I was in for. Now, 4 months in (counting from when I started seriously preparing for the GMAT and looking at programs) I can honestly say this is much more stressful than I had ever imagined. I have never in my life had such dramatic ups and downs, where I am 100% confident in decisions/applications/etc. one day, only to wake up the next and have zero confidence in them. Last week I was sure I would get into at least 2 of the 3 schools I'm applying to. This week, I'm doubting whether I'll get into any. The kicker came last night: I am now dreaming about MBA applications. Not the dream so many of us have where we get the call from the director of admissions at X school welcoming us to join the Class of 2010. No, sir. This is a dream about the applications themselves. In my dream last night, I was writing essays, talking to my essay reviewers about them, talking to friends about doubts I had on the process, etc. I can't wait to see what the next phase has in store, after I submit my apps and wait anxiously for an interview invite.

I know many of my fellow applicants are riding the same emotional rollercoaster. I hope that writing about it will be therapeutic and help me get back to the happy place I was last week.

No comments: